East Halmahera regent’s bribes flew to PDI-P, prosecutors suspect
The Jakarta Post
Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) prosecutors suspected half of the bribes allegedly received by East Halmahera Regent Rudy Erawan would be used to finance the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle’s (PDI-P) national leadership meeting (Rapimnas).
The prosecutors explained the allegation in their indictment against the regent, which was read out in a hearing at the Jakarta Corruption Court on Wednesday.
According to the indictment, Rudy gave Rp 200 million (US$14,410) out of a total Rp 6.3 billion in bribes he had received to the PDI-P to hold the meeting.
“In early January 2016, the defendant contacted Imran S. Djumadil, former member of the North Maluku Legislative Council [DPRD II], saying he needed financial support to hold the Rapimnas of PDI-P in Jakarta,” said the KPK prosecution team as quoted by tempo.co in the indictment.
Imran reportedly later contacted Amran HI Mustary, head of the National Road Management Agency (BPJN) IX for Maluku and North Maluku, to inform the latter about the fund request. Imran also called construction company Windu Tunggal Utama director Abdul Khoir and another contractor, Hong Arta John Alfred, to whom he asked each of them to give Rp 100 million, kompas.com reported.
Amran later allegedly gave the money provided by Abdul and Hong Arta amounting to S$20,460, or Rp 200 million, to Rudi via his personal guard, Mohammad Arnes Solikin Mei.
The prosecutors stated in their indictment that the Rp 6.3 billion kickback received by Rudy was related to Amran’s nomination as BPJN head. Amran’s candidacy was carried out through collusion and nepotism, they said. (stu/ebf)
- Google Search introduces new feature to reduce clicks
- Shots fired at US embassy in Ankara, no casualties
- Pontianak urges school closure for smog
- Asian Games: Poor ticket handling after spectacular opening
- BREAKING: Another 7-magnitude quake hits Lombok
- Asian Games: Flags rise again for swimming medalists after Sun's demand
- Trump lashes out at Russia probe as 'McCarthyism'
- Model claiming Trump secrets pleads not guilty in Thailand case
- Asian Games: We need more experience, says Indonesia wrestling team after failur...
- Four Japan athletes booted from Asian Games in prostitute scandal