KPK orders Blitar, Tulungagung leaders to surrender
The Jakarta Post
The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has warned Tulungagung Regent Syahri Mulyono and Blitar Mayor Muhammad Samanhudi Anwar to turn themselves in as graft suspects.
“To the mayor of Blitar and the regent of Tulungagung, we ask that you turn yourselves in immediately or we will apprehend you by force,” KPK deputy chairman Saut Situmorang said Thursday morning as quoted by tempo.co. He said the KPK did not know the whereabouts of the two but hoped they would turn themselves in by Thursday night.
The KPK named Syahri and Samanhudi graft suspects following two sting operations on Wednesday. The KPK detained four suspects and seized Rp 2.5 billion (US$180 million), a bank transaction form and construction project notes.
KPK spokesperson Febri Diansyah said the KPK had enough evidence to name Syahri and Samanhudi graft suspects despite never having brought them in for questioning.
Regent Syahri Mulyono is suspected of accepting Rp 1 billion in bribes related to a road-construction project in addition to Rp 1.5 billion in two previous installments.
Agung Prayitno, Sutrisno and Susilo Prabowo have also been declared suspects in Syahri's case. They are respectively a middleman, the head of the Tulungagung Public Works Agency and a contractor who bid for the road-construction project.
Meanwhile, Mayor Samanhudi is suspected of accepting Rp 1.5 billion in bribes related to a school construction project worth Rp 23 billion.
Bambang Purnomo and Susilo Prabowo have been declared suspects in Samanhudi's case. They are respectively a middleman and the same contractor in Syahri's case. (nor/kuk)
- Google Search introduces new feature to reduce clicks
- Shots fired at US embassy in Ankara, no casualties
- Pontianak urges school closure for smog
- Asian Games: Poor ticket handling after spectacular opening
- BREAKING: Another 7-magnitude quake hits Lombok
- Asian Games: Flags rise again for swimming medalists after Sun's demand
- Trump lashes out at Russia probe as 'McCarthyism'
- Model claiming Trump secrets pleads not guilty in Thailand case
- Asian Games: We need more experience, says Indonesia wrestling team after failur...
- Four Japan athletes booted from Asian Games in prostitute scandal