Jakarta administration to hold major event on Idul Fitri eve
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta administration plans to provide space for Muslim residents to celebrate the night before Idul Fitri, known as takbiran, to prevent them from celebrating on the streets.
Jakarta Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno said the administration would hold a mass takbiran event, although the location for the event has not been decided yet.
Sandiaga said he discussed the plan with Bureau of Mental and Spiritual Education head Hendra Hidayat.
The city administration, he claimed, had coordinated with all relevant parties to ensure security on the night before Idul Fitri.
Sandiaga suggested that residents who had plans to join convoys to celebrate takbiran to notify the Jakarta Transportation Agency about their plans.
“The city administration will not allow unorganized convoys,” Sandiaga said on Saturday as quoted by tempo.co. (cal/ahw)
- Me and my (porn) shadow: 'Spycam' epidemic seizes South Korea
- Moon, Kim get peace award from Indonesian community
- Four earthquakes strike off Canada's west coast
- Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja stuns 'American Idol' judges
- Meikarta project abides by spatial regulation: Minister
- US mulls revoking recognition of transgender people: Report
- Australia hits five Myanmar generals with sanctions
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Only 2% of ads show women as leaders: Study
- Trump accuses Saudis of 'lies' over Khashoggi killing