Jakarta administration to hold major event on Idul Fitri eve
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta administration plans to provide space for Muslim residents to celebrate the night before Idul Fitri, known as takbiran, to prevent them from celebrating on the streets.
Jakarta Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno said the administration would hold a mass takbiran event, although the location for the event has not been decided yet.
Sandiaga said he discussed the plan with Bureau of Mental and Spiritual Education head Hendra Hidayat.
The city administration, he claimed, had coordinated with all relevant parties to ensure security on the night before Idul Fitri.
Sandiaga suggested that residents who had plans to join convoys to celebrate takbiran to notify the Jakarta Transportation Agency about their plans.
“The city administration will not allow unorganized convoys,” Sandiaga said on Saturday as quoted by tempo.co. (cal/ahw)
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- Tourism's fatal warning
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia lists 180 missing on doomed ferry, launches underwater search
- 8-meter python slain after swallowing woman in Southeast Sulawesi
- Search on for dozens missing in Indonesia ferry sinking
- Indonesia takes a bite out of food waste one wedding at a time
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- Taliban kill 30 soldiers in first major attack since ceasefire, governor says
- Commentary: Another side of the elderly: You reap what you sow