Jakarta administration to hold major event on Idul Fitri eve
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta administration plans to provide space for Muslim residents to celebrate the night before Idul Fitri, known as takbiran, to prevent them from celebrating on the streets.
Jakarta Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno said the administration would hold a mass takbiran event, although the location for the event has not been decided yet.
Sandiaga said he discussed the plan with Bureau of Mental and Spiritual Education head Hendra Hidayat.
The city administration, he claimed, had coordinated with all relevant parties to ensure security on the night before Idul Fitri.
Sandiaga suggested that residents who had plans to join convoys to celebrate takbiran to notify the Jakarta Transportation Agency about their plans.
“The city administration will not allow unorganized convoys,” Sandiaga said on Saturday as quoted by tempo.co. (cal/ahw)
- BREAKING: Buddhist woman imprisoned for complaining about mosque's speaker
- Google Search introduces new feature to reduce clicks
- Colombia rescues 49 women from 'sexual slavery'
- Iran unveils first domestic fighter jet
- UK B&B becomes unlikely site of 'pilgrimage' for Japanese anime fans
- Shots fired at US embassy in Ankara, no casualties
- Sri Mulyani declines position on Jokowi's campaign team
- Luxury brands chasing China's cash-rich millennials armed with family money
- Pontianak urges school closure for smog
- Asian Games prostitute scandal 'slap in the face': Jakarta councilor