Facilities at revitalized Manggarai terminal deteriorating
The Jakarta Post
Once hailed as the model for future bus terminals in the city, the state of Manggarai terminal in South Jakarta, has rapidly gone downhill.
Kompas.com reported on Tuesday of travelers getting electric shocks while using the escalators as the rubber coating had come off handrails. Most of the air conditioners were no longer functional, while several parts of the ceiling were broken.
Furthermore, two out of three toilets were locked, a worker stating that the facilities were out of order.
South Jakarta Transportation Agency head Christianto said he had checked the terminal’s conditions.
"An escalator has lost most of its handrail coating, another one is not functional because of an electricity short. I don't think [it caused] electrocution," he said on Tuesday.
"We're also attempting to add Freon to the air conditioners," he added.
The toilets were closed, Christian added, because there were problems with the flushing mechanism. He claimed that he had ordered his team to install new equipment.
"We're set to deliberate a new plan for the station's facility maintenance around June and July," he said.
Three years ago, the Manggarai terminal was revitalized at a cost of Rp 12 billion (US$859,200), with the installation of modern facilities like the escalators and air conditioning. (vla)
- Google Search introduces new feature to reduce clicks
- Shots fired at US embassy in Ankara, no casualties
- Pontianak urges school closure for smog
- Asian Games: Poor ticket handling after spectacular opening
- BREAKING: Another 7-magnitude quake hits Lombok
- Asian Games: Flags rise again for swimming medalists after Sun's demand
- Trump lashes out at Russia probe as 'McCarthyism'
- Model claiming Trump secrets pleads not guilty in Thailand case
- Asian Games: We need more experience, says Indonesia wrestling team after failur...
- Four Japan athletes booted from Asian Games in prostitute scandal