Father reports mother to police for allegedly beating son to death
The Jakarta Post
A father has reported his wife to local police for allegedly beating their 8-year-old son to death with a water dipper. Incident reportedly happened in the family home in Malang, East Java, on Monday evening.
Police reported on Wednesday that the suspect had been detained and an autopsy confirmed that the boy had sustained injuries to the body, face and head from a blunt object.
The suspect reportedly confessed that she beat her son because she was upset at seeing him return home dirty. She said the boy had taken Rp 51,000 (US$4) from her to buy a kite. After allegedly beating him, she took him to a clinic but he died while being transferred to a hospital.
“Based on interviews with several witnesses, the suspect is hot-tempered and frequently assaulted her child,” Malang Police chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Yade Setiawan said.
“Meanwhile, the father, who works as a meatball soup vendor, returns home only at midnight so he wasn’t around to control the situation,” he added.
Setiawan said both parents would undergo psychological tests and that the suspect would be charged with violating a 2014 law on violence against children.
“Even then, regardless of the suspect’s mental condition, I’m sure she regrets her actions and feels a sense of loss. May this case be a lesson to all parents,” said Setiawan. (nor)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- India launches 'Modicare', world's biggest health scheme
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- One year on, far right has transformed German politics
- China's bullet trains are coming for Hong Kong's airlines
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- Attempt to send underage prostitutes to Bali ends at airport: Police
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy