Three Afghans beheaded, school torched in suspected Islamic State attack
Unidentified gunmen beheaded three men and torched a boys' school in Nangarhar province in eastern Afghanistan late on Saturday, in an attack officials blamed on Islamic State militants.
"They brutally beheaded three attendants and set fire to the school building," Mohammad Asif Shinwari, spokesman for the education department said, adding that the administrative offices and the school library were completely burnt.
So far no group has claimed responsibility for the attack, which came after warnings from Islamic State last month of attacks on schools in Nangarhar, on the border with Pakistan, where the militants have established their main stronghold.
In a statement, the provincial governor blamed the incident on Islamic State, which has conducted a series of brutal attacks in the province and other areas, regularly beheading victims they accuse of cooperating with the government.
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- No nutrients lost in rendang despite long cooking period, research says
- Bali authority denies report on JE viral infection outbreak
- Basarnas ends search for Lion Air crash victims
- Anti-LGBT sentiment rises ahead of elections
- Singapore Airlines to move to Soekarno-Hatta airport Terminal 3
- Lion Air crash: 'I’m sure dad could swim his way out and survive the crash'
- When Jokowi’s ‘other women’ let their hair down
- Indonesia to free Bali Nine drug smuggler Lawrence: Official