Police allege murder suspect in Riau 'IS sympathizer'
The Jakarta Post
Personnel of the Pekanbaru Police have arrested a suspected sympathizer of the Islamic State (IS) extremist group, identified only as RH, 21, during their investigation into the murder of a tailor, Ahmad Syahwan, in Tampan district, Pekanbaru, Riau.
Ahmad was found dead, covered in blood, at Sakato residential complex on Jl. Cipta Karya on May 25.
RH, who works as a tailor, was arrested in a rented house on Jl. Cipta Karya Gang Hidayah, Sialang Munggu sub-district, Tampan district, Pekanbaru city, at around 10 p.m. local time on Sunday.
Based on the police investigation, RH was involved in the murder because he was urged by his friend, identified only as YD, to take part in the crime. YD was Ahmad’s employee. The police are still searching for YD’s whereabouts and have put his name on their most wanted list (DPO).
Several Mobile Brigade (Brimob) personnel were involved in the arrest because investigators had received information that RH was associated with an Islamic extremist group. The arrest site was sterilized before the Brimob members conducted the raid to ensure it was safe for them to enter.
Riau Police spokesperson Sr. Comr. Sunarto said a strong indication of RH’s involvement with IS was found when the police raided his house. They found four IS flags, a can of white paint suspected to be used to make IS flags, sharp weapons and three CDs. (swa/ebf)
- Surfer severely mauled by shark in Australia
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Hummingbirds thrive at innovative Mexico gardens
- They played dead on the ground: Survivor recounts OPM massacre
- Prabowo answers all your burning questions in his little blue book
- Garuda Indonesia takes passengers on trip to 1980s
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- Sexual harassment in the sky: Hong Kong flight attendants fight back
- Women accuse famous Brazil spiritual 'healer' of sex abuse