Jambi councillor sentenced to six years in prison over graft
The Jakarta Post
The Jambi Corruption Court has sentenced Supriyono, a member of the Jambi Legislative Council from the National Mandate Party (PAN), to six years in prison for his involvement in a graft case that pertains to the drafting of the 2018 Jambi regional budget.
In a hearing on Monday, judges also ordered the defendant to pay Rp 400 million (US$27,691) in fines or face an additional three-month imprisonment. The judges also ruled that Supriyono would be banned from running for public office for five years after he completed his sentence.
Presiding judge Badrun Zaini said Supriyono had been proven guilty of violating the 2001 Corruption Law and articles 55 and 64 of the Criminal Code.
“The panel of judges hereby gives one week to the defendant and his lawyer team to make a decision on whether they will accept the verdict or file an appeal,” he said.
Supriyono’s lawyer , Edi Syam, said he and his client respected the court’s decision. Edi, however, said neither his team nor his client had decided whether they would file an appeal.
“We're still examining the situation,” he said on Tuesday.
The case emerged following a sting by the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) at Rumah Makan Ndut, Jambi, and Grand Indonesia shopping mall, Jakarta, in late October and early November last year.
In the operation, the KPK confiscated Rp 4.7 billion out of a total Rp 6 billion in bribes related to the case. (stu/ebf)
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Insight: New development pathway for Indonesia
- Flights not yet affected by Mt. Anak Krakatau eruption, authorities say
- Brotherhood chief, 65 others get life for Egypt attack
- Trump's tariffs on $200b of Chinese imports kick in
- Supreme Court pick's accuser agrees to testify Thursday
- Journalist murdered in Mexico, ninth of 2018
- Nike-Kaepernick: A marriage of ideals?