Death toll of KM Lestari Maju ship incident rises to 29
The Jakarta Post
The number of people that have died following the capsizing of KM Lestari Maju in the waters of Selayar Islands,Bulukumba regency, South Sulawesi, has risen to nearly 30 as of early Wednesday morning, the Bulukumba Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) said.
BPBD Bulukumba said in a statement that as of 1:54 a.m. on Wednesday, 29 out of 139 people on board the passenger vessel, which sank on Tuesday, had been found dead.
Forty-one passengers remain missing. Meanwhile, there are 69 known survivors, with 34 of them receiving medical treatment at hospitals.
“Search efforts are still ongoing,” said BPBD Bulukumba. “Not all passengers could get life jackets [when the accident occurred]."
It was difficult for personnel to carry out search and rescue operations, which had taken place since Tuesday afternoon, owing to rain and high waves, which had prevented a large vessel from sailing near the location where the ship had capsized, the BPBD said.
The incident was reportedly caused by a leak in the ship’s hull that caused water to get into the ship.
It was the latest maritime incident in two weeks after the overcrowded KM Sinar Bangun sank in Lake Toba, North Sumatra. Three passengers have been found dead, while there are 22 known survivors and at least 164 others remain missing. (afr/ebf)
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 22 migrants missing off Morocco after boat capsizes
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Republican urges conservatives to run against Trump in 2020
- Trump says doesn't want to hear 'suffering' Khashoggi tape
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- Political parties clash over sharia-based bylaws
- Your next Uber ride may have a minifridge stocked with snacks
- Indonesia launches 16th economic package
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw