Graft suspect Zumi Zola's detention period extended
The Jakarta Post
The detention period of Zumi Zola Zulkifli, the nonactive Jambi governor implicated in a graft case related to several projects in the province, has been extended, an official with the Jambi Corruption Court said on Wednesday.
The court’s spokesperson Lucas Sahabat Duha said Zumi’s detention period would be extended for 30 days from June 8 to Aug. 8.
“The letter [on the extension of Zumi’s detention period] has been sent to the KPK [Corruption Eradication Commission] because its coordination [in handling the case] is still with the Jambi District Court,” Lucas said on Wednesday.
It is the second time for Zumi to have his detention period extended since being detained on April 9 for the KPK investigation into the case. His detention period was first extended from April 29 to June 9.
The KPK named Zumi, along with Jambi Public Works Agency acting head Arfan, graft suspects in February for allegedly accepting unlawful gifts amounting to Rp 6 billion (US$435,600) related to several projects in Jambi.
The KPK previously named Arfan a suspect in a bribery case related to the deliberation of the 2018 Jambi provincial budget. He was arrested in an operation in November last year, along with a number of officials who were suspected of giving kickbacks to several councillors in order to influence the budget's deliberation.
Zumi was named a suspect after graft busters conducted a series of investigations and raids at his house and villa, as well as confiscating several documents and money — both in rupiah and US dollars. (afr/ebf)
- Trump targeted by G-20 as leaders push back on combative tweets
- Supreme Court to decide on UK-Scotland Brexit standoff
- Some countries buying Russian gear deserve sanctions waivers: Mattis
- Yuval Noah Harari: '21 Lessons' from data, meditation to AI and 'Black Mirror'
- Indonesia soccer fans damage Asian Games stadium
- Thousands protest Australia's refugee detention policy
- Four kids, riding motorbike without helmets, taught valuable lesson by cop
- World Bank official drowns at Bali beach
- One dead, suspect surrenders after US supermarket hostage drama
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games