KPU opens legislative candidate registration
The Jakarta Post
The General Elections Commission (KPU) opened candidate registration for the 2019 legislative election on Wednesday.
KPU commissioner Evi Novida Ginting Evi said an information system that enabled voters to search for information on the legislative election and its candidates was ready to operate.
“Everything is ready,” Evi said as quoted by tempo.co in Jakarta on Tuesday.
The 2019 presidential and legislative elections are scheduled to be held on April 17, 2019. The submission of candidate lists is set to take place from July 4 to 17, while verification will be held from July 5 to 18. The results of the verification will be announced on July 19 to 21.
According to the KPU, the final list of candidates will be announced on Aug.12 to 14. Throughout the process, the public is allowed to give feedback on the nominated candidates. Political parties must provide clarification to the KPU.
The KPU said in a previous statement it had encouraged all political parties to prepare a sufficient number of candidates in case replacements were needed.
"If there is a problem related to legislative candidates [stipulated on the temporary list], we'll give the political parties a chance to replace them before the final candidate list [is determined]," KPU commissioner Ilham Saputra said as quoted by kompas.com.
The commission will announce the final candidate list for the 2019 legislative election on Sept.21 to 23. (stu/ebf)
- Obama dancing in Kenya sends world aflutter
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India
- Malaysia issues arrest warrants for ex-1MDB executives
- Thailand's cave boys wake up at home for first time in weeks
- Rapes and beatings: The torments of South Korea's young athletes
- Indonesia sees 7 brutal animal killings in 2018
- Joey Alexander’s new music video showcases the beauty of Bali
- Russian 'agent' held on charges of seeking to infiltrate US govt
- BMKG warns of high waves around Lombok
- Prabowo visits Yudhoyono in hospital