KPU opens legislative candidate registration
The Jakarta Post
The General Elections Commission (KPU) opened candidate registration for the 2019 legislative election on Wednesday.
KPU commissioner Evi Novida Ginting Evi said an information system that enabled voters to search for information on the legislative election and its candidates was ready to operate.
“Everything is ready,” Evi said as quoted by tempo.co in Jakarta on Tuesday.
The 2019 presidential and legislative elections are scheduled to be held on April 17, 2019. The submission of candidate lists is set to take place from July 4 to 17, while verification will be held from July 5 to 18. The results of the verification will be announced on July 19 to 21.
According to the KPU, the final list of candidates will be announced on Aug.12 to 14. Throughout the process, the public is allowed to give feedback on the nominated candidates. Political parties must provide clarification to the KPU.
The KPU said in a previous statement it had encouraged all political parties to prepare a sufficient number of candidates in case replacements were needed.
"If there is a problem related to legislative candidates [stipulated on the temporary list], we'll give the political parties a chance to replace them before the final candidate list [is determined]," KPU commissioner Ilham Saputra said as quoted by kompas.com.
The commission will announce the final candidate list for the 2019 legislative election on Sept.21 to 23. (stu/ebf)
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Insight: New development pathway for Indonesia
- Flights not yet affected by Mt. Anak Krakatau eruption, authorities say
- Journalist murdered in Mexico, ninth of 2018
- Instagram co-founders step down from company: NYT
- China says can't hold US trade talks with 'knife to the throat'
- Huawei gives free power banks to people queuing for new iPhone
- Nike-Kaepernick: A marriage of ideals?