KPK detains Aceh governor for alleged graft
The Jakarta Post
The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has detained Aceh Governor Irwandi Yusuf after charging him with graft on Wednesday night.
KPK deputy chairwoman Basaria Panjaitan said the antigraft commission had sufficient evidence to name Irwandi a graft suspect over the alleged embezzlement of Aceh’s special autonomy funds.
Irwandi was accused of accepting Rp 500 million (US$34,794) from Bener Meriah Regent Ahmadi as part of a Rp 1.5 billion “commitment fee” related to an infrastructure project in the regency
The former Free Aceh Movement (GAM) leader allegedly asked regional heads in the province for 8 percent of every project financed by Aceh’s special autonomy fund, which amounted to Rp 8 trillion this year, Basaria said.
“The funds could have been used for something that the Acehnese people could benefit from, such as infrastructure development, economic empowerment, poverty alleviation and social and health [programs].”
The KPK also charged Ahmadi and two businesspeople, Hendri Yuzal and Syaiful Bahri, in the case.
Irwandi and the other suspects were arrested during an operation in Banda Aceh and Bener Meriah regency on Tuesday evening. (ahw)
- Surfer severely mauled by shark in Australia
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Hummingbirds thrive at innovative Mexico gardens
- They played dead on the ground: Survivor recounts OPM massacre
- Prabowo answers all your burning questions in his little blue book
- Garuda Indonesia takes passengers on trip to 1980s
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- Sexual harassment in the sky: Hong Kong flight attendants fight back
- Women accuse famous Brazil spiritual 'healer' of sex abuse