Tontowi and Liliyana win 2018 Indonesia Open title
The Jakarta Post
Indonesia's world number one mixed doubles pair Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir defended their Indonesia Open title after securing a quick win over Malaysia’s Chan Peng Soon and Goh Liu Ying in the final round in Jakarta on Sunday.
The victory was a swansong for Liliyana, 32, who treated the 2018 edition as her last participation in the tournament .
In top form, Tontowi and Liliyana owned the match without dropping a game. The Indonesians were only challenged in the first game, which they won 21-17.
The second game was over quickly, with the pair wrapping it up 21-8. Overall, the match lasted 38 minutes.
Liliyana, Indonesia’s queen of mixed doubles, said she would retire at end of this year. Before retiring, she plans to win her first gold medal at the Asian Games, which will be held in Jakarta and Palembang, South Sumatra, in August and September.
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- India launches 'Modicare', world's biggest health scheme
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- One year on, far right has transformed German politics
- Insight: New development pathway for Indonesia
- China's bullet trains are coming for Hong Kong's airlines
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- Attempt to send underage prostitutes to Bali ends at airport: Police
- Brotherhood chief, 65 others get life for Egypt attack