Transportation Ministry official dies in fire during overtime shift
The Jakarta Post
M. Ridwan Ernaldi, a staff member at the Transportation Ministry who was killed during a deadly fire that engulfed the office in the early hours of Sunday, was working overtime when the incident took place, an official has said.
Ministry spokesperson Baitul Ihwan said it was common for workers at the ministry to work overtime on weekends.
“We work 24 hours a day because we monitor all transportation activities, including air, land and train [transportation]. It’s not uncommon to work like that [overtime],” Baitul said at his office in Central Jakarta on Monday.
Ridwan was one of three victims killed in the incident. The two others were Khairul and Santoso, construction workers that were working on the 12th floor of the Karya building.
Twenty others were rescued from the building and later sent to a hospital to receive medical treatment.
The fire was allegedly caused by a short circuit in a CCTV on the first floor of the building. (fac/wit)
- Surfer severely mauled by shark in Australia
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Hummingbirds thrive at innovative Mexico gardens
- They played dead on the ground: Survivor recounts OPM massacre
- Prabowo answers all your burning questions in his little blue book
- Garuda Indonesia takes passengers on trip to 1980s
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- Sexual harassment in the sky: Hong Kong flight attendants fight back
- Women accuse famous Brazil spiritual 'healer' of sex abuse