Transportation Ministry official dies in fire during overtime shift
The Jakarta Post
M. Ridwan Ernaldi, a staff member at the Transportation Ministry who was killed during a deadly fire that engulfed the office in the early hours of Sunday, was working overtime when the incident took place, an official has said.
Ministry spokesperson Baitul Ihwan said it was common for workers at the ministry to work overtime on weekends.
“We work 24 hours a day because we monitor all transportation activities, including air, land and train [transportation]. It’s not uncommon to work like that [overtime],” Baitul said at his office in Central Jakarta on Monday.
Ridwan was one of three victims killed in the incident. The two others were Khairul and Santoso, construction workers that were working on the 12th floor of the Karya building.
Twenty others were rescued from the building and later sent to a hospital to receive medical treatment.
The fire was allegedly caused by a short circuit in a CCTV on the first floor of the building. (fac/wit)
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Insight: New development pathway for Indonesia
- Flights not yet affected by Mt. Anak Krakatau eruption, authorities say
- Brotherhood chief, 65 others get life for Egypt attack
- Trump's tariffs on $200b of Chinese imports kick in
- Journalist murdered in Mexico, ninth of 2018
- Supreme Court pick's accuser agrees to testify Thursday
- Nike-Kaepernick: A marriage of ideals?