Transportation Ministry official dies in fire during overtime shift
The Jakarta Post
M. Ridwan Ernaldi, a staff member at the Transportation Ministry who was killed during a deadly fire that engulfed the office in the early hours of Sunday, was working overtime when the incident took place, an official has said.
Ministry spokesperson Baitul Ihwan said it was common for workers at the ministry to work overtime on weekends.
“We work 24 hours a day because we monitor all transportation activities, including air, land and train [transportation]. It’s not uncommon to work like that [overtime],” Baitul said at his office in Central Jakarta on Monday.
Ridwan was one of three victims killed in the incident. The two others were Khairul and Santoso, construction workers that were working on the 12th floor of the Karya building.
Twenty others were rescued from the building and later sent to a hospital to receive medical treatment.
The fire was allegedly caused by a short circuit in a CCTV on the first floor of the building. (fac/wit)
- Trump targeted by G-20 as leaders push back on combative tweets
- Supreme Court to decide on UK-Scotland Brexit standoff
- Some countries buying Russian gear deserve sanctions waivers: Mattis
- Yuval Noah Harari: '21 Lessons' from data, meditation to AI and 'Black Mirror'
- Indonesia soccer fans damage Asian Games stadium
- Thousands protest Australia's refugee detention policy
- Four kids, riding motorbike without helmets, taught valuable lesson by cop
- World Bank official drowns at Bali beach
- One dead, suspect surrenders after US supermarket hostage drama
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games