Security guard arrested over alleged links to terrorism in Central Jakarta
The Jakarta Post
The National Police's Densus 88 counterterrorism squad have arrested a man allegedly involved in terrorism and searched his rented house in Kemayoran, Central Jakarta.
The suspect, a security guard, was arrested in Bendungan Hilir, Central Jakarta. The police have yet to disclose any information about his alleged links to terrorism.
During Monday's raid at his house, Kemayoran Police chief Comr. Saiful Anwar said that the police found several mortar weapons, dozens of arrows and several replica firearms. The suspect lived in the house with his wife and their four children.
“We confiscated some mortars. There were also a lot of arrows, more than 50. He [the suspect] was a security guard,” Saiful said on Monday, kompas.com reported.
Read also: Bomb explosions reported in Pasuruan
The suspect's wife denied her husband's involvement in any terrorist activities. "He usually finished work at 3 p.m. and spent several hours after working as an ojek [motorcycle taxi] driver. He was usually home by 8 p.m.," she said.
The head of the community unit where the family lives, Novi Jumiadi, confirmed that the suspect was a resident of the area who had lived at the rented house for years. Novi said that the man and his family did not mingle with their neighbors.
“I don’t know who [the suspect] is. I heard that he used to have a house nearby but he sold it and rented a house and lived here for years,” he said. (ami/wit)
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- Saudi woman's case against father stirs 'guardianship' debate
- Land owners unseal 46 schools after promise to hire them as civil servants
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world