Security guard arrested over alleged links to terrorism in Central Jakarta
The Jakarta Post
The National Police's Densus 88 counterterrorism squad have arrested a man allegedly involved in terrorism and searched his rented house in Kemayoran, Central Jakarta.
The suspect, a security guard, was arrested in Bendungan Hilir, Central Jakarta. The police have yet to disclose any information about his alleged links to terrorism.
During Monday's raid at his house, Kemayoran Police chief Comr. Saiful Anwar said that the police found several mortar weapons, dozens of arrows and several replica firearms. The suspect lived in the house with his wife and their four children.
“We confiscated some mortars. There were also a lot of arrows, more than 50. He [the suspect] was a security guard,” Saiful said on Monday, kompas.com reported.
Read also: Bomb explosions reported in Pasuruan
The suspect's wife denied her husband's involvement in any terrorist activities. "He usually finished work at 3 p.m. and spent several hours after working as an ojek [motorcycle taxi] driver. He was usually home by 8 p.m.," she said.
The head of the community unit where the family lives, Novi Jumiadi, confirmed that the suspect was a resident of the area who had lived at the rented house for years. Novi said that the man and his family did not mingle with their neighbors.
“I don’t know who [the suspect] is. I heard that he used to have a house nearby but he sold it and rented a house and lived here for years,” he said. (ami/wit)
- Trump targeted by G-20 as leaders push back on combative tweets
- Supreme Court to decide on UK-Scotland Brexit standoff
- Some countries buying Russian gear deserve sanctions waivers: Mattis
- Yuval Noah Harari: '21 Lessons' from data, meditation to AI and 'Black Mirror'
- Indonesia soccer fans damage Asian Games stadium
- Thousands protest Australia's refugee detention policy
- Four kids, riding motorbike without helmets, taught valuable lesson by cop
- World Bank official drowns at Bali beach
- One dead, suspect surrenders after US supermarket hostage drama
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games