Five injured in gas explosion in South Jakarta
The Jakarta Post
A gas explosion occurred at 4:20 a.m. on Thursday at the Grand Wijaya shopping center on Jl. Wijaya II in Kebayoran Baru, South Jakarta. Three security guards and two street vendors have been injured.
“Based on the bomb squad’s investigation, the blast was caused by an 11-kilogram LPG [liquefied petroleum gas] canister in one of the shop’s,” said South Jakarta Police chief Sr. Comr. Indra Jafar.
“The gas is suspected to have leaked. At least three shop-houses and a minivan have been damaged. Windows were left broken and walls crumbled.”
The five victims, Indra added, sustained leg injuries. “They’re receiving medical treatment. Police are trying to question them,” he said.
An investigation into the incident will be carried out prior to the resumption of normal activities at the shopping center.
“We’ve summoned the owner of the shop [in which the explosion occurred] to be questioned,” Indra said. (wit)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements
- Lion Air: a deadly crash and a whole lot of questions for Boeing
- Trump fires senior advisor at start of expected White House reshuffle
- Prabowo plans Singapore-like taxes for Indonesia
- Merpati escapes bankruptcy, but no guarantee it will fly again
- ASEAN’s priority: China
- 21 companies to relocate factories from Karawang over high wages
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high