Five injured in gas explosion in South Jakarta
The Jakarta Post
A gas explosion occurred at 4:20 a.m. on Thursday at the Grand Wijaya shopping center on Jl. Wijaya II in Kebayoran Baru, South Jakarta. Three security guards and two street vendors have been injured.
“Based on the bomb squad’s investigation, the blast was caused by an 11-kilogram LPG [liquefied petroleum gas] canister in one of the shop’s,” said South Jakarta Police chief Sr. Comr. Indra Jafar.
“The gas is suspected to have leaked. At least three shop-houses and a minivan have been damaged. Windows were left broken and walls crumbled.”
The five victims, Indra added, sustained leg injuries. “They’re receiving medical treatment. Police are trying to question them,” he said.
An investigation into the incident will be carried out prior to the resumption of normal activities at the shopping center.
“We’ve summoned the owner of the shop [in which the explosion occurred] to be questioned,” Indra said. (wit)
- Student allegedly paralyzed after being told to do 120 jump squats as punishment
- Obama dancing in Kenya sends world aflutter
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India
- China seizes 156 mammoth tusks in huge ivory haul
- S.Korean court hands former president Park another 8 years in jail
- 'Mass casualty incident' after Missouri tourist boat capsizes
- Former Hong Kong leader jailed again for misconduct
- Jambi girl imprisoned for abortion after being raped by brother
- Who is TGB, Jokowi’s strongest ally against sectarianism?