Tanjung Priok Police destroy drugs worth over Rp10b
The Jakarta Post
Tanjung Priok Port Police destroyed 5 kilograms of sabu-sabu (crystal methamphetamine) and 18,000 ecstasy pills worth billions of rupiah at its headquarters in Tanjung Priok, North Jakarta, on Thursday.
The port police chief Adj. Comr. Eko Hadi Santoso said the sabu-sabu alone was worth at least Rp 7 billion (US$486,418).
“We also confiscated 18,000 ecstasy pills that are sold at around Rp 300,000 to Rp 500,000 a piece. If we assume that at the lowest price of Rp 300,000 multiplied by 18,000, then the total worth would be more than Rp 4 billion,” Eko said on Thursday as reported by Warta Kota.
He added that the drugs were confiscated during three different operations. The police confiscated 4 kg of sabu-sabu from a suspect identified as FES, 1 kg from HA and 18,000 ecstasy pills from MAA, MR, AP and ABR. Eko said the six suspects would be charged under Article 114(2) of Law No. 35/2009 on narcotics.
They face the death penalty or life in prison. (ami/wit)
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium
- Saudi woman's case against father stirs 'guardianship' debate
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Russia warns US it is 'playing with fire' with sanctions
- Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang dead at 61: State media
- Land owners unseal 46 schools after promise to hire them as civil servants
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world