Tanjung Priok Police destroy drugs worth over Rp10b
The Jakarta Post
Tanjung Priok Port Police destroyed 5 kilograms of sabu-sabu (crystal methamphetamine) and 18,000 ecstasy pills worth billions of rupiah at its headquarters in Tanjung Priok, North Jakarta, on Thursday.
The port police chief Adj. Comr. Eko Hadi Santoso said the sabu-sabu alone was worth at least Rp 7 billion (US$486,418).
“We also confiscated 18,000 ecstasy pills that are sold at around Rp 300,000 to Rp 500,000 a piece. If we assume that at the lowest price of Rp 300,000 multiplied by 18,000, then the total worth would be more than Rp 4 billion,” Eko said on Thursday as reported by Warta Kota.
He added that the drugs were confiscated during three different operations. The police confiscated 4 kg of sabu-sabu from a suspect identified as FES, 1 kg from HA and 18,000 ecstasy pills from MAA, MR, AP and ABR. Eko said the six suspects would be charged under Article 114(2) of Law No. 35/2009 on narcotics.
They face the death penalty or life in prison. (ami/wit)
- Student allegedly paralyzed after being told to do 120 jump squats as punishment
- Obama dancing in Kenya sends world aflutter
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India
- China seizes 156 mammoth tusks in huge ivory haul
- S.Korean court hands former president Park another 8 years in jail
- 'Mass casualty incident' after Missouri tourist boat capsizes
- Former Hong Kong leader jailed again for misconduct
- Jambi girl imprisoned for abortion after being raped by brother
- Who is TGB, Jokowi’s strongest ally against sectarianism?