Bad weather halts fast boat services to Lombok, Nusa Penida
Ni Komang Erviani
The Jakarta Post
Bad weather forced scores of fast boats that travel from Bali to Lombok and Nusa Penida Island to stop operations on Thursday.
The suspension affected fast boats departing from several areas in Bali, including from Padangbai in Karangasem, Sanur and Benoa in Denpasar, as well as from three jetties in Klungkung.
“We decided to suspend operations because of the bad weather. Safety is the most important thing,” Sanur harbormaster Warsita said on Thursday.
Warsita explained that the decision to suspend the services of all fast boats was prompted by a warning issued by the Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency (BMKG). The agency forecast that the waves could reach 4 meters high in southern Bali waters and in Lombok Strait.
He was unable to say when operations would resume. The BMKG the agency’s warning mentioned that the bad weather may last only until Friday.
Made Suardika, a supervisor of Klungkung’s transportation agency in charge of the Tribuana dock in Klungkung, said passengers who had bought tickets to Nusa Penida and Nusa Lembongan may get refunds from the boat operator.
Meanwhile, bad weather also affected the operation of ferries traveling from Padang Bai in eastern Bali to Lombok.
“Vessels cannot moor at one of our jetties. So only one jetty can be used today,” PT ASDP Indonesia Ferry (Persero) Padang Bai business manager I Wayan Rosta said.
As a result, a long queue of vehicles had formed at the gate to the harbor. (swd)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- Lotte Chemical Indonesia begins construction of plant in Cilegon
- Indonesia plans to make 30 percent biodiesel blend mandatory, studies B100
- Indonesia’s e-commerce sales predicted to reach US$65b in 2022
- Prabowo answers all your burning questions in his little blue book
- Jokowi stresses tolerance at cultural congress conclusion
- Low deficits and fiscal prudence