Pedestrian bridge near HI traffic circle to be dismantled
The Jakarta Post
A pedestrian crossing bridge located by the Hotel Indonesia (HI) traffic circle will be torn down because it is blocking motorists' view of the Jakarta Welcome Statue, Governor Anies Baswedan announced on Sunday
“Later [after the bridge is taken down], we will be able to see Jl. Thamrin [...] and reach the traffic circle with the sight of the welcome statue," he said as quoted by kompas.com.
The dismantling would be carried out ahead of the Asian Games, so that foreign guests would be able to see the statue as they pass the main thoroughfare, he added.
“The welcome statue was built to welcome participants of the Asian Games in 1962," he said.
Jakarta is set to host the quadrennial sporting event from Aug.18 to Sept. 2 alongside Palembang, South Sumatra. (acr)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- Lippo's Karawaci flooded, Pejaten Village catches fire
- ASEAN’s priority: China
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- US pilots say Boeing didn’t warn of 737 feature tied to crash
- Passenger demands window seat, gets amusing response from flight attendant
- 21 companies to relocate factories from Karawang over high wages
- Macron the latest US ally insulted by Trump