Pedestrian bridge near HI traffic circle to be dismantled
The Jakarta Post
A pedestrian crossing bridge located by the Hotel Indonesia (HI) traffic circle will be torn down because it is blocking motorists' view of the Jakarta Welcome Statue, Governor Anies Baswedan announced on Sunday
“Later [after the bridge is taken down], we will be able to see Jl. Thamrin [...] and reach the traffic circle with the sight of the welcome statue," he said as quoted by kompas.com.
The dismantling would be carried out ahead of the Asian Games, so that foreign guests would be able to see the statue as they pass the main thoroughfare, he added.
“The welcome statue was built to welcome participants of the Asian Games in 1962," he said.
Jakarta is set to host the quadrennial sporting event from Aug.18 to Sept. 2 alongside Palembang, South Sumatra. (acr)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- India launches 'Modicare', world's biggest health scheme
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- One year on, far right has transformed German politics
- China's bullet trains are coming for Hong Kong's airlines
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- Attempt to send underage prostitutes to Bali ends at airport: Police
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy