Chile prosecutors seek Vatican files of priests in sex scandal
Prosecutors in Chile on Wednesday said they have requested the Vatican files of nine Chilean priests being investigated for sexual abuses.
"The National Prosecutor, Jorge Abbott, today signed an official letter addressed to the Vatican (..), requesting canonical records involving accused persons investigated by the Public Prosecutor's Office," the National Prosecutor's Office said in a statement.
The petition includes three requests for help in criminal cases of nine members of the church.
In July, prosecutors said Chile was investigating 158 members of the country's embattled Catholic Church -- both clergymen and lay people -- for perpetrating or concealing the sexual abuse of children and adults.
The cases relate to incidents dating back as far as 1960 and involving 266 victims, including 178 children and adolescents.
Pope Francis has accepted the resignation of five Chilean bishops amid accusations of abuse and related cover-ups.
The developments have been welcomed by campaigners who have accused the church of being involved in a cover-up stretching back decades.
Since 2000, about 80 Catholic priests have been reported to authorities in Chile for alleged sexual abuse.
Pope Francis has repeatedly apologized to parishioners over the scandal, admitting the Church failed "to listen and react" to allegations spanning decades, but vowed to "restore justice."
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- Pence says US to partner in Papua New Guinea military base
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- US politician stands to win election by one vote
- Sexual harassment victim ordered to start prison sentence next week
- Govt looks to private employees to fill public jobs after 90 percent of applican...
- 'Moral panic' targets Indonesia's LGBT community