Jakarta council should select new deputy governor
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Council (DPRD) should select a new Jakarta deputy governor after the resignation of Sandiaga Uno earlier today, who will run as vice president of Gerindra Party leader Prabowo Subianto in next year's election.
Home Ministry regional autonomy director general Sumarsono said the prevailing law stipulates that the regional head, Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan, had to propose two names to the City Council, based on the recommendations of the coalition parties, Gerindra and the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS), that backed the governor during last year’s election.
“The DPRD will then vote one of the two candidates,” he said on Friday as reported by kompas.com.
Sumarsono explained that the mechanism was based on Law No. 23/2014 on regional administration.
He added that, based on the regulation, the deputy governor post would remain vacant until the selection at the council. (nor)
- Muslim couple denied Swiss citizenship over handshake refusal
- US man charged with killing pregnant wife and two toddlers
- Jokowi opens Asian Games in dazzling ceremony
- Google launches special features for Asian Games 2018
- President, first lady celebrate Sumatran culture on Independence Day
- Cricket hero Imran Khan sworn in as Pakistan PM
- National Folk Museum of Korea to bring ‘mobile museums’ to Asian Games
- Strong earthquake hits off Fiji, no tsunami threat
- US threatens more Turkey sanctions if pastor not freed
- Asian Games: Japanese athletes, officials comfortable staying in athletes villag...