Jakarta council should select new deputy governor
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Council (DPRD) should select a new Jakarta deputy governor after the resignation of Sandiaga Uno earlier today, who will run as vice president of Gerindra Party leader Prabowo Subianto in next year's election.
Home Ministry regional autonomy director general Sumarsono said the prevailing law stipulates that the regional head, Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan, had to propose two names to the City Council, based on the recommendations of the coalition parties, Gerindra and the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS), that backed the governor during last year’s election.
“The DPRD will then vote one of the two candidates,” he said on Friday as reported by kompas.com.
Sumarsono explained that the mechanism was based on Law No. 23/2014 on regional administration.
He added that, based on the regulation, the deputy governor post would remain vacant until the selection at the council. (nor)
- Moon, Kim get peace award from Indonesian community
- Only 2% of ads show women as leaders: Study
- Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja stuns 'American Idol' judges
- Here comes Bui Squad: Palu inmates help earthquake, tsunami survivors
- Dark side of K-pop: The East Light leader claims years of abuse
- Nudist beach surfer punches shark to escape attack
- Saudi Arabia deployed Twitter army against critics: NY Times
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Meikarta project abides by spatial regulation: Minister
- Trump accuses Saudis of 'lies' over Khashoggi killing