New deputy ‘must have good chemistry’ with Jakarta governor
The Jakarta Post
The head of Jakarta’s chapter of the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS), Sakhir Purnomo, said he expected the replacement of departing Jakarta deputy governor Sandiaga Uno to have a good chemistry with Governor Anies Baswedan.
“Anyone replacing Sandiaga should have a good chemistry with the governor,” he said on Sunday, as quoted by tempo.co, adding that input from Anies would be taken into account.
He said he expected an immediate meeting between his party and Gerindra, the party that had backed the pair during the gubernatorial election last year, to determine who should fill the vacant position, after Sandiaga decided to run as a vice-presidential candidate in the 2019 presidential election.
The final determination of the candidates would rest with the party’s executive board, he said.
“Hopefully there will be a discussion between PKS and Gerindra leaders in the near future,” Sakhir said.
Previously, PKS president Sohibul Iman said his party should have a big chance to fill the deputy governor position, as it had let Gerindra’s chairman Prabowo Subianto choose a vice-presidential candidate from Gerindra.
“[Gerindra] should give priority to a PKS [cadre] to become the deputy governor,” Sohibul said.
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- 22 migrants missing off Morocco after boat capsizes
- 'Moral panic' targets Indonesia's LGBT community
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- Republican urges conservatives to run against Trump in 2020
- Trump says doesn't want to hear 'suffering' Khashoggi tape
- Govt looks to private employees to fill public jobs after 90 percent of applican...