Seruyan villager arrested in connection with orangutan killing
The Jakarta Post
The Central Kalimantan Police have arrested a villager, identified as BY, for killing an orangutan named Baen in Seruyan regency, Central Kalimantan, last month.
Central Kalimantan Police head Insp. Gen. Anang Revandoko said BY was currently being detained at a local police station after his arrest on Thursday.
Baen’s body was found in the plantation area of local palm oil company PT Wana Sawit Subur Lestari by a company employee on Monday, July 1. The body reportedly had incisions and bullets in its body. Baen was reportedly familiar with the plantation because it was rescued in 2014 and had been taken care of by the company.
BY reportedly killed Baen using a firearm and a sword.
The police have collected evidence from several witnesses, a firearm, a sword, a piece of wood and a boat. Forensic analysis of the orangutan’s hair shows that it matches what was found on BY’s sword and boat.
According to the police investigation, BY, who often collected wood at the location, felt annoyed by the presence of the orangutan, which he considered was getting in the way of his work.
“The suspect refused to work with the palm oil company, which had offered him a job. He preferred to collect wood around the farm,” Anang said.
The police have pressed multiple charges against BY, including possession of a firearm and killing an orangutan, which carry 15 years' imprisonment and a minimum fine of Rp 2.5 billion (US$173,010). (sau/wit)
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Instagram co-founders step down from company: NYT
- K-Pop stars BTS at UN urge world's youth to 'just speak yourself'
- China says can't hold US trade talks with 'knife to the throat'
- 'Scandal' website portrays Sandiaga Uno as womanizer
- The Indonesian kid who stirs the Hollywood Bowl: Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Iran in the spotlight as Trump, Rouhani set for UN clash
- Transjakarta bus crashes to avoid hitting street sweeper