Asian Games: Indonesia goes to final in women’s pair rowing
Safrin La Batu
The Jakarta Post
Indonesia rowers Julianti and Yayah Rokayah secured a ticket to the final on Sunday after finishing second in the first heat in the women’s pair rowing race at Jakabaring Sport Complex in Palembang, South Sumatra.
The Indonesian duo touched the finish line in 8 minutes and 32 seconds, 10 seconds after their South Korean counterparts, Seoyeong Jeon and Seo Hee Kim. Indonesia raced in heat 1 on Sunday, along with Myanmar, Vietnam and India.
Myanmar’s duo finished 9 seconds after Indonesia, putting them in third place. Meanwhile, Vietnam’s and India’s rowers finished in 9:00 and 9:02, respectively
Myanmar, Vietnam and India will be eligible to race in the repechage stage on Tuesday, the winner of which will go to the final round.
In the second heat, China’s Rui Ju and Xin Yu Lin claimed first place, finishing in 8:15. Meanwhile, Japan’s Akiho Takano and Kana Nishihara finished in 8:25 to claim second place.
Indonesia will likely face a tough game in the final round when it will meet strong contenders China, South Korea and Japan. In Sunday’s match, even Japan, the runner-up in heat 2, has a 7-second time margin above Indonesia.
The final round will take place on Thursday.
- Jokowi’s surprise for Korea
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Palm oil waste-fueled generators produce electricity in Kutai
- Semen Indonesia acquires Holcim Indonesia
- Merpati escapes bankruptcy, but no guarantee it will fly again
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Sexual harassment victim ordered to start prison sentence next week
- Prabowo plans Singapore-like taxes for Indonesia
- Bank Indonesia hikes rate to 6 percent
- Lion Air passengers change planes because of broken AC