Asian Games: Indonesia goes to final in women’s pair rowing
Safrin La Batu
The Jakarta Post
Indonesia rowers Julianti and Yayah Rokayah secured a ticket to the final on Sunday after finishing second in the first heat in the women’s pair rowing race at Jakabaring Sport Complex in Palembang, South Sumatra.
The Indonesian duo touched the finish line in 8 minutes and 32 seconds, 10 seconds after their South Korean counterparts, Seoyeong Jeon and Seo Hee Kim. Indonesia raced in heat 1 on Sunday, along with Myanmar, Vietnam and India.
Myanmar’s duo finished 9 seconds after Indonesia, putting them in third place. Meanwhile, Vietnam’s and India’s rowers finished in 9:00 and 9:02, respectively
Myanmar, Vietnam and India will be eligible to race in the repechage stage on Tuesday, the winner of which will go to the final round.
In the second heat, China’s Rui Ju and Xin Yu Lin claimed first place, finishing in 8:15. Meanwhile, Japan’s Akiho Takano and Kana Nishihara finished in 8:25 to claim second place.
Indonesia will likely face a tough game in the final round when it will meet strong contenders China, South Korea and Japan. In Sunday’s match, even Japan, the runner-up in heat 2, has a 7-second time margin above Indonesia.
The final round will take place on Thursday.
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- Creator of 3-D printed guns flies to Taiwan amid US sex assault accusation
- Balinale set to return with award-winning movies, guests
- Malaysia ex-PM faces 21 new charges over 1MDB scandal
- BMKG warns of heavy rains, high waves as Typhoon Mangkhut ends
- 'Asia Sentinel' apologizes to Yudhoyono, Dems
- Five destinations to be developed into one geopark
- Indonesians ready to embrace cashless future
- Tourism Ministry declares five dishes national food
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world