Asian Games: We need more experience, says Indonesia wrestling team after failure
Stefanno Reinard Sulaiman
The Jakarta Post
The Indonesia men's wrestling team has blamed its recent five losses in the free-style category at the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta on Sunday on a lack of training and proper mentality.
Indonesia sent six of its best athletes to compete in six free-style wrestling categories, namely 57 kilograms, 65 kg, 74 kg, 86 kg, 97 kg and 125 kg.
Yet, only one wrestler - 27-year-old Eko Roni Saputra in the 57 kg category - advanced to the quarterfinals before being eliminated, leaving Indonesia's hopes in the 125 kg class that is set to play out tomorrow.
“We are lacking in preparation as other countries have trained for around five years, while we only scheduled eight months of training,” Indonesia men’s team wrestling coach Zulhaidir told the press.
Zulhaidir further blamed the poor showings on the low number of wrestling competitions in the country, which he believes impacted the mentality of the players. Only one national competition, he said, could be used to develop skills and mentality.
“Therefore, we hope that our results in the Asian Games could also become an evaluation for our association in terms of adding competitions,” he said.
Fahriansyah, who competed in the men’s 86 kg this year, concurred, saying that his team needed to train more if it wanted to catch up with other Asian countries.
“Looking at my defeat in the previous games, it is true that our opponents are in a different class than us and I also blame [the loss] on my lack of experience playing at the highest level,” he said.
The 31-year-old wrestler was defeated twice on Sunday, first in a round of 16 match against Iran and again in the repechage round. (nkn)
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Indonesia to free Bali Nine drug smuggler Lawrence: Official
- Government to issue new regulation on coal permits
- JT610 victim's bride takes wedding photo shoot without groom
- Associate of close Trump adviser expects to be indicted by Mueller
- Garuda to reopen Jakarta-London route
- University student ‘pseudo poll’: LGBT behavior caused by keeping wrong company...
- Garuda Indonesia records best OTP in Asia Pacific