Fresh Lombok quake a new mainshock, says govt
The Jakarta Post
The powerful earthquake on Sunday night that hit Lombok Island in West Nusa Tenggara was not an aftershock but a new mainshock, authorities said on Monday.
National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said in the caption for a photograph he tweeted on Monday morning that the new earthquake was a mainshock, which was followed by several aftershocks.
Inilah gempa 6,9 SR dan gempa susulannya (warna merah) yang mengguncang Lombok pada 19/8/2018 pukul 19.56 WIB hingga 20/8/2018 pukul 08.00 WIB. Sumber gempa berasal dari Sesar Naik Flores di utara Pulau Lombok dan Sumbawa. pic.twitter.com/7RGS2DXo1X— Sutopo Purwo Nugroho (@Sutopo_PN) August 20, 2018
The Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency (BMKG) said on Sunday evening that the earthquake measured magnitude 7, but the government later revised it to 6.9.
The BMKG said the quake was caused by the Flores back arc thrust of northern Lombok and the Sumbawa Islands. The epicenter of the earthquake, which occurred on Sunday evening, was located 30 kilometers northeast of East Lombok at a depth of 10 km.
The local disaster agency recorded up to five people killed and scores injured. The agency continues to gather data on the exact number of victims.
The United States Geological Survey (USGS) also reported the 6.9-magnitude quake and said that it had a similar depth and mechanism to the Aug. 5 mainshock on Lombok. (sau)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- Lippo's Karawaci flooded, Pejaten Village catches fire
- ASEAN’s priority: China
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- Passenger demands window seat, gets amusing response from flight attendant
- US pilots say Boeing didn’t warn of 737 feature tied to crash
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements
- Macron the latest US ally insulted by Trump
- Cutting out rice not enough: More lifestyle changes needed to prevent diabetes