Fresh Lombok quake a new mainshock, says govt
The Jakarta Post
The powerful earthquake on Sunday night that hit Lombok Island in West Nusa Tenggara was not an aftershock but a new mainshock, authorities said on Monday.
National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said in the caption for a photograph he tweeted on Monday morning that the new earthquake was a mainshock, which was followed by several aftershocks.
Inilah gempa 6,9 SR dan gempa susulannya (warna merah) yang mengguncang Lombok pada 19/8/2018 pukul 19.56 WIB hingga 20/8/2018 pukul 08.00 WIB. Sumber gempa berasal dari Sesar Naik Flores di utara Pulau Lombok dan Sumbawa. pic.twitter.com/7RGS2DXo1X— Sutopo Purwo Nugroho (@Sutopo_PN) August 20, 2018
The Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency (BMKG) said on Sunday evening that the earthquake measured magnitude 7, but the government later revised it to 6.9.
The BMKG said the quake was caused by the Flores back arc thrust of northern Lombok and the Sumbawa Islands. The epicenter of the earthquake, which occurred on Sunday evening, was located 30 kilometers northeast of East Lombok at a depth of 10 km.
The local disaster agency recorded up to five people killed and scores injured. The agency continues to gather data on the exact number of victims.
The United States Geological Survey (USGS) also reported the 6.9-magnitude quake and said that it had a similar depth and mechanism to the Aug. 5 mainshock on Lombok. (sau)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- India launches 'Modicare', world's biggest health scheme
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- One year on, far right has transformed German politics
- China's bullet trains are coming for Hong Kong's airlines
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- Attempt to send underage prostitutes to Bali ends at airport: Police
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy