Asian Games: Vietnam seals win over Bahrain as South Korea beats Iran
The Jakarta Post
A late goal from Nguyen Chong Phuong was enough for Vietnam to beat Bahrain on Thursday and send the country to the quarterfinals of men's soccer where they will face Syria.
South Korea, meanwhile, knocked out Iran to meet Uzbekistan.
Vietnam and Bahrain were looking at extra time before Phuong scored the winner in the 88th minute.
Bahrain, who played with 10 men after Ahmed Sanad was redcarded in the 42nd minute, only managed three shots on goal throughout the match, which was played at Patriot Candrabaga Stadium in Bekasi, West Java.
Meanwhile, South Korea sealed a convincing 2-0 win over Iran through goals from Hwang Ui-jo and Lee Seung-woo.
English Premier League star Son Heung-min, who captained the team, had two shots on target.
South Korea and Vietnam will take on Uzbekistan and Syria, respectively, on Monday. Both matches will be played at the Patriot Candrabaga Stadium. (yan)
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Trump hits China with tariffs on another $200b in goods
- Florence death toll jumps to 31 as flooding wreaks havoc
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Prosecutors call for Jambi rape victim to be punished to deter abortion
- Indonesia must improve its e-government
- Woodward's Trump book sells 1.1 million in first week
- Indonesia exports religious take on family planning