Asian Games: Vietnam seals win over Bahrain as South Korea beats Iran
The Jakarta Post
A late goal from Nguyen Chong Phuong was enough for Vietnam to beat Bahrain on Thursday and send the country to the quarterfinals of men's soccer where they will face Syria.
South Korea, meanwhile, knocked out Iran to meet Uzbekistan.
Vietnam and Bahrain were looking at extra time before Phuong scored the winner in the 88th minute.
Bahrain, who played with 10 men after Ahmed Sanad was redcarded in the 42nd minute, only managed three shots on goal throughout the match, which was played at Patriot Candrabaga Stadium in Bekasi, West Java.
Meanwhile, South Korea sealed a convincing 2-0 win over Iran through goals from Hwang Ui-jo and Lee Seung-woo.
English Premier League star Son Heung-min, who captained the team, had two shots on target.
South Korea and Vietnam will take on Uzbekistan and Syria, respectively, on Monday. Both matches will be played at the Patriot Candrabaga Stadium. (yan)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements
- Lion Air: a deadly crash and a whole lot of questions for Boeing
- Trump fires senior advisor at start of expected White House reshuffle
- Prabowo plans Singapore-like taxes for Indonesia
- Merpati escapes bankruptcy, but no guarantee it will fly again
- ASEAN’s priority: China
- 21 companies to relocate factories from Karawang over high wages
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high