Zumi Zola spent illicit money on Marvel collectibles, says KPK indictment
The Jakarta Post
While graft suspects are commonly found to have spent the money they gained illicitly on expensive items like fancy cars and luxury houses, the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) suspects non-active Jambi governor and former actor Zumi Zola Zulkifli of spending the gratuities he had received on a relatively unusual collectible: Marvel action figures.
Zumi was indicted last week for accepting unlawful gifts of more than Rp 40 billion (US$2.7 million) in connection with the province's infrastructure projects from 2016 to 2017.
According to the indictment, a copy of which The Jakarta Post obtained recently, Zumi had reportedly ordered his aide, Asrul Pandapotan Sihotang, to use some of the illicit money to purchase several Marvel action figures between June and November 2017 worth Rp 52 million and S$11,750 from XM Studios, a Singaporean licensed producer of premium collectible statues.
Zumi had also used Rp 36 million of the illicit money for his wife's online shopping, Rp 300 million for umrah (minor Islamic pilgrimage) and Rp 400 million for qurban (Idul Adha sacrificial animals), the indictment said.
The KPK also suspected that Zumi had also used the unlawful money to help his younger brother, Zumi Laza, secure a leadership position in the National Mandate Party’s (PAN) Jambi office. The KPK suspected Zumi of spending Rp 274 million to purchase two ambulances for his brother to give to PAN’s Jambi office.
“We must be able to prove our suspicion later [during the trial],” KPK spokesman Febri Diansyah said as quoted by tribunnews.com.
Zumi was also indicted of channeling Rp 16 million in bribes to dozens of Jambi Legislative Council members in order to influence deliberations of the 2017 and 2018 provincial budgets. (ipa)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- Truck full of bodies draws Mexicans searching for relatives
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- First to red planet will become Martians: Canada astronaut
- One year on, far right has transformed German politics
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Police probe new drug rape claims against US doctor, girlfriend