Block BeeTalk, WeChat accounts allegedly linked to sex workers: Police
The Jakarta Post
The police have demanded that the government block messenger app accounts allegedly facilitating prostitution at Margoda Residence Apartment in Pondok Cina, Depok.
Depok Police criminal investigation unit head Comr. Bintoro said an online prostitution ring was organized by three alleged pimps through BeeTalk and WeChat accounts.
They were arrested on Thursday at the apartment compound’s Tower 2 along with two others, who were allegedly a sex worker and a customer.
The alleged pimps, identified only as TM, R and IS, are suspected to have used messaging app BeeTalk to arrange meetings between sex workers and customers.
“We need the Communications and Information Ministry to detect and block the sex workers’ accounts on WeChat and BeeTalk so they will not use the apps for online prostitution,” Bintoro said on Monday as reported by kompas.com.
Read also: Rampant prostitution plagues Kalibata City
He said the police, the Depok administration and the stakeholders should cooperate to prevent online prostitution.
“This online prostitution [issue] is complex, so a lot of people have to cooperate with the police, such as the city administration and the residents, to stop this practice,” he said.
He added that there should be a regulation that would criminalize sex workers.
“I expect that the police will cooperate with the Depok administration, prosecutors and judges in Depok to review the punishment for online prostitution so they [sex workers] will not do it again,” Bintoro said. (ami)
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Indonesia to free Bali Nine drug smuggler Lawrence: Official
- Government to issue new regulation on coal permits
- Garuda to reopen Jakarta-London route
- JT610 victim's bride takes wedding photo shoot without groom
- Bali authority denies report on JE viral infection outbreak
- Associate of close Trump adviser expects to be indicted by Mueller
- University student ‘pseudo poll’: LGBT behavior caused by keeping wrong company...