Asian Games: Seven contingents farewell Palembang
The Jakarta Post
The Indonesian Asian Games Organizing Committee (INASGOC) deputy director for arrival, departure and hospitality, Glenn Josef, said that around 2,300 athletes from seven countries had departed from the Games co-host city of Palembang, South Sumatra, on Aug. 31.
The seven countries are Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Maldives, Oman and Timor Leste.
"Most of them [the departing contingents] took early flights. Some went straight home, others went to Jakarta for a layover or to join their larger contingent," he said on Friday at the Sultan Mahmud Badaruddin II Airport in Palembang.
More than 1,300 athletes are still staying at the Jakabaring Sports City, which contains venues for a number of the 40 sports featured at the quadrennial event.
"Some of the athletes are still competing today and tomorrow. Others have stayed to support their compatriots," Glenn said.
He added that INASGOC would continue to carry out its duties until Sept. 5, to make sure all athletes left safely.
Glenn said that during the Games, there had been some problems with athlete arrivals and departures but that the organizers had handled them.
A liaison officer of INASGOC's arrival, departure and hospitality department, Mahkamah, said that as a volunteer he and his team had to stand by at their posts on schedule.
"Today, we have to monitor and provide assistance, including handing out souvenirs, for the Vietnamese contingent whose flight is scheduled to depart at 8 p.m.," said the teacher, who chose to take leave from his job to volunteer at the Asiad.
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Creator of 3-D printed guns flies to Taiwan amid US sex assault accusation
- Balinale set to return with award-winning movies, guests
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Tourism Ministry declares five dishes national food
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium