Asian Games: Indonesian bridge team closes journey with 4 bronzes
The Jakarta Post
The country’s bridge team failed to reach its target to collect an Asian Games gold medal in bridge as it finished the last competition day with a total of four bronzes at Jakarta International Expo in Kemayoran on Saturday.
In Saturday’s finals, Indonesia won the medals in the mixed-pair event through Taufik Gautama Asbi and Lusje Olha Bojoh and in the men’s pair through Henky Lassut and Freddy Eddy Manopppo. Previously, the host country had grabbed the other two bronzes in mixed-team and supermixed team events.
Taufik blamed the team’s lack of experience for the missed target.
“Our opponents are professional bridge players, while we are not full-time players as we still do other things,” Taufik said.
Indonesian Contract Bridge Association (GABSI) chief Eka Wahyu Kasih confirmed Taufik’s statement. As the Indonesian team manager, Eka admitted that he made a blunder in setting up strategies during men’s and mixed-team matches that led to their failure.
He said Indonesia had gold potential in the two categories. (nkn)
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Pence says US to partner in Papua New Guinea military base
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- US politician stands to win election by one vote
- Sexual harassment victim ordered to start prison sentence next week
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Number of missing in California fire soars past 1,000 as Trump set to visit
- CIA concludes Saudi Crown Prince behind Khashoggi murder: report
- Minister Wiranto's grandson drowns in garden pond
- After Gabo book purge, Kuwait bans Dostoyevsky