Asian Games: Indonesian bridge team closes journey with 4 bronzes
The Jakarta Post
The country’s bridge team failed to reach its target to collect an Asian Games gold medal in bridge as it finished the last competition day with a total of four bronzes at Jakarta International Expo in Kemayoran on Saturday.
In Saturday’s finals, Indonesia won the medals in the mixed-pair event through Taufik Gautama Asbi and Lusje Olha Bojoh and in the men’s pair through Henky Lassut and Freddy Eddy Manopppo. Previously, the host country had grabbed the other two bronzes in mixed-team and supermixed team events.
Taufik blamed the team’s lack of experience for the missed target.
“Our opponents are professional bridge players, while we are not full-time players as we still do other things,” Taufik said.
Indonesian Contract Bridge Association (GABSI) chief Eka Wahyu Kasih confirmed Taufik’s statement. As the Indonesian team manager, Eka admitted that he made a blunder in setting up strategies during men’s and mixed-team matches that led to their failure.
He said Indonesia had gold potential in the two categories. (nkn)
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Saudi woman's case against father stirs 'guardianship' debate
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- Land owners unseal 46 schools after promise to hire them as civil servants
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world