Jokowi to watch Asian Games closing ceremony with Lombok quake survivors
The Jakarta Post
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo has announced that he will not be attending the 2018 Asian Games closing ceremony on Sunday.
Instead, Vice President Jusuf Kalla will lead the regional sporting event closing ceremony.
Jokowi said that he would not be able to attend the closing ceremony because he has to visit Lombok earthquake survivors in West Nusa Tenggara (NTB). However, he will watch the event on television with the people of Lombok.
Since the earthquakes hit the province, Jokowi has visited NTB twice, the first time in late July and the second time in mid-August.
"I will be going to Lombok on Sunday morning and I'll watch it together with the Lombok people," he said on Saturday as quoted by tempo.co.
Jokowi became the talk of town at the Games opening ceremony following the release of a video that appeared to show him arriving on a motorcycle. (ris)
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Creator of 3-D printed guns flies to Taiwan amid US sex assault accusation
- Balinale set to return with award-winning movies, guests
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Malaysia ex-PM faces 21 new charges over 1MDB scandal
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Tourism Ministry declares five dishes national food
- Indonesians ready to embrace cashless future