Tourists see blackened Bromo savannah after fire
The Jakarta Post
A number of tourists visited the Pentongan Block of Bromo Tengger Semeru National Park (TNBTS) in East Java after wildfires burned 65 hectares of savannah in the area on Saturday.
Indah Kusmawardani, a local tourist from Yogyakarta, told The Jakarta Post on Monday that she and her five friends were actually eager to explore the savannah area, which is popularly known as Bromo’s Teletubbies Hill because its small green hills look like the ones in children's TV series the Teletubbies.
"We are forced to see the blackened savannah instead of the green one. But what else can we do?" she said, adding that her group had rented a jeep for Rp 650,000 (US$43.80) to explore three locations, including Teletubbies Hill.
Indah’s group had arrived at the Bromo national park vicinity on Sunday night, but they just found out about the incident after reading online news on Monday morning.
In spite of the unexpected scenery, Indah said their group decided to go ahead with their plan.
The fire, which burned through the Pentongan Block of the Laut Pasir (Sand Sea) Tengger Resort, reportedly broke out around 9:45 a.m. local time on Saturday.
Initially, the park deployed 15 personnel to put out the fire. However, around 320 people comprising the national park’s management team, local authorities and volunteers later joined the firefighting effort.
The park management’s head, John Kennedie, said the park was continuing with its investigation. (sau)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- Truck full of bodies draws Mexicans searching for relatives
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- First to red planet will become Martians: Canada astronaut
- One year on, far right has transformed German politics
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Police probe new drug rape claims against US doctor, girlfriend