Disgraced 'umrah' agency reports clients for abuse, theft
The Jakarta Post
Travel agency PT Rifa Jannah Wisata (My Jannah), which specializes in umrah (minor pilgramage) religious trips, has reported a number of clients to the Jakarta Police for abuse and theft.
Farah Diba Panigoro, the owner of the agency, said around 30 people had come to her house on the evening of June 4 demanding refunds for their postponed trips and treated her badly, she said.
“They barged into my bedroom, even though I was sick and having a rest at that time,” Farah said on Friday as quoted by kompas.com.
Farah said the mob had physically hurt her and looted her personal belongings. Farah claimed she had lost important certificates, underwear, a vacuum cleaner, office clothing, jewelry, sandals and shoes, altogether worth Rp 5 billion (US$335,867). According to Farah, the incident caused material and immaterial losses.
She also reported a client for alleged violation of Law No.1 1/2008 on electronic information and transactions (ITE) for cyberbullying through texts and WhatsApp messages.
“I even deactivated the comment section of My Jannah's Instagram account,” she said.
Previously, Farah and co-owner Gery Rama Mahfian were reported to the Jakarta Police by their clients for alleged fraud.
A number of clients who had paid in advance for a trip to Mecca claimed My Jannah kept postponing their trip and making many excuses. When the clients demanded refunds, the company also kept postponing payment of the refunds. (gis)
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Saudi woman's case against father stirs 'guardianship' debate
- Land owners unseal 46 schools after promise to hire them as civil servants
- Russia warns US it is 'playing with fire' with sanctions
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’