Sandiaga respects childhood friend Erick for backing rival candidate
The Jakarta Post
Vice presidential candidate Sandiaga Uno said he was happy to hear that childhood friend Erick Thohir had been tapped to lead the campaign of his opponents in the 2019 presidential race.
“Erick and I have been best friends since we were kids, so I was happy to hear [President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo’s] decision, even though he joined the opponent’s team,” he said on Saturday as quoted by Antara.
The former Jakarta deputy governor also said he respected his friend for having a different political view in the upcoming 2019 presidential election.
Jokowi announced on Friday that Erick would lead his reelection campaign in the upcoming election—where he will be facing his old opponent Prabowo Subianto--following his success in organizing the 2018 Asian Games.
Meanwhile, Prabowo and Sandiaga have appointed former Indonesian Military commander and Gerinda Party member Djoko Santoso to lead their campaign.
Erick is the owner of Mahaka Group, which owns Indonesia’s biggest Islamic newspaper Republika. He also owns several sports teams, such as the American soccer team DC United and Italian soccer team Inter Milan.
Erick and Sandiaga are linked through automotive group Astra International founder William Soeryadjaya, who knew both of their parents, Erick’s father Teddy Thohir and Sandiaga’s mother Mien S. Uno, personally. (ris/ahw)
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Pence says US to partner in Papua New Guinea military base
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- US politician stands to win election by one vote
- Sexual harassment victim ordered to start prison sentence next week
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Number of missing in California fire soars past 1,000 as Trump set to visit
- CIA concludes Saudi Crown Prince behind Khashoggi murder: report
- Minister Wiranto's grandson drowns in garden pond
- After Gabo book purge, Kuwait bans Dostoyevsky