Indonesia needs to prepare young generation to excel in future: Former VP
The Jakarta Post
Former vice president Boediono has said the key for Indonesia as a nation to excel was in the collective awareness of the entire country to prepare future generations.
He added that all elements in Indonesia, including national leaders, policymakers, academicians and parents, needed to work together to develop quality generations.
"The effort to develop a nation is a continuous process. Each generation should prepare for [developing] the next generation," Boediono said in his keynote speech during the 2018 Scholar Conference organized by the A&A Rachmat Foundation in Jakarta on Wednesday.
In his speech titled "Preparing the Nation's Superior Generation", Boediono mentioned some scientific findings, including one that states a baby's brain can be stimulated even while still inside the womb.
Therefore, he said, it is crucial for all of us to ensure pregnant women are in good health, physically and mentally.
Boediono, who was an economist with Gadjah Mada University, said it was the job of the entire nation to educate the young generation as early as possible in kindergarten, elementary school, high school and university.
Herein lies the importance of education and health as a prerequisite to develop a healthy and smart human — the superior generation, Boediono added.
Meanwhile, A&A Rachmat Foundation patron Theodore Rachmat called on the young generation to improve competency and values.
"Because you are all the backbone of this nation," Rachmat said at the event, which saw hundreds of students, rectors and businesspeople in attendance.
The students are recipients of scholarships from the A&A Rachmat Foundation.
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Jokowi’s surprise for Korea
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Pence says US to partner in Papua New Guinea military base
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- Sexual harassment victim ordered to start prison sentence next week
- US politician stands to win election by one vote
- Semen Indonesia acquires Holcim Indonesia
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Palm oil waste-fueled generators produce electricity in Kutai