Police to deploy more than 5,800 personnel for IMF-World Bank meeting
The Jakarta Post
At least 5,823 police personnel will be deployed to secure the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and World Bank (WB) Meeting, slated to be held in Nusa Dua, Bali, from Oct. 8 to 14, the Bali Police have said.
"More than 5,800 police personnel from the Bali Police and the National Police will be deployed to secure the IMF-WB meetings," Bali Police deputy chief Brig. Gen. I Wayan Sunartha said as quoted by Antara on Thursday.
A total of 189 member countries of the World Bank and IMF are slated to attend the meetings, with an estimated number of attendees of between 15,000 and 20,000, comprising high-ranking state officials, businesspeople, academics and representatives of civil society organizations.
Aside from ensuring security for VIP guests, the Bali Police also established a sub-task force to improve safety in certain areas prior to the meetings.
Over 600 closed-circuit television (CCTV) systems connected to the Bali Police headquarters’ command center have also been installed across the island.
Traffic restrictions will also be imposed, particularly during the event’s dinner reception at the Garuda Wisnu Kencana (GWK) Cultural Park on Oct. 12 which 2,500 delegates are expected to attend.
The route from hotels in Nusa Dua to the GWK is a busy, one-way street, Sunartha said.
"We must be on alert [of possible traffic jams] and we have also run a simulation [in anticipation]," he said. (afr/swd)
- Jokowi’s surprise for Korea
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- US politician stands to win election by one vote
- Sexual harassment victim ordered to start prison sentence next week
- Semen Indonesia acquires Holcim Indonesia
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- Palm oil waste-fueled generators produce electricity in Kutai
- Merpati escapes bankruptcy, but no guarantee it will fly again
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Prabowo plans Singapore-like taxes for Indonesia