Mob kills alleged mugger in Bekasi
The Jakarta Post
A 15-year-old boy was killed in a case of deadly mob violence in West Cikarang, Bekasi, West Java, on Thursday.
The victim, identified as Ricky, and his partner allegedly mugged a man identified only as EW, 24, taking his motorcycle and mobile phone, West Cikarang Police criminal investigation unit chief First Insp. Elman said.
"The slain suspect was Ricky from Cikarang," Elman said on Friday, as quoted by kompas.com.
EW and others were hanging out in a coffee shop when the two suspects approached him on a motorcycle. One of the suspects got off the motorcycle and threatened EW with a machete.
"At that time the mobile phone and the motorcycle key were on the table, and the suspect grabbed the phone and key and took the motorcycle," Elman said.
When the suspects were about to flee, EW and others shouted for help and locals chased the suspects.
The suspects hit the wall of a local's house and fell. Ricky was reportedly beaten to death while the other suspect fled the scene and has yet to be apprehended by the police.
The motorcycle that Ricky had taken has been returned to EW, Bekasi Police criminal investigation unit chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Rizal Marito said. But EW's mobile phone was taken by the other suspect.
"We're still hunting for the other suspect, our personnel have been deployed in different places," Rizal said.
The police said they would investigate the case of mob violence as well. (stu)
- Seoul Fashion Week ready for kickoff
- 17 missing students in North Sumatra flood rescued
- NTT to move immigrants to island near Australia
- Movie star Chow Yun-fat to give entire fortune to charity
- The warning signs get stronger
- Lewinsky affair not an abuse of power, says Hillary Clinton
- US wants "regime change" in Iran: Rouhani
- KPK urged to be resolute in solving IndonesiaLeaks report case
- Washington diocese names 31 former clergy accused of abuse
- #UninstallGojek trends after executive shows support for LGBT community