Jokowi-Ma’ruf aims to win West Java by 20 points
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo is aiming to win 60 percent of the vote in West Java in next year’s presidential election, Jokowi-Ma’ruf Amin West Java regional campaign chairman Dedi Mulyadi said on Sunday, as quoted from kompas.com.
“I am targeting 60 percent. The synergy between all the components is relatively good,” Dedi said during Jokowi’s campaign stop in Bandung, West Java.
With a population of over 47 million West Java is Indonesia’s most populous province, and at almost 97 percent Muslim it is also widely regarded as among the most religiously conservative provinces in the country.
During the 2014 elections, West Java was one of the 10 provinces that Gerindra chairman Prabowo Subianto won, securing 59.7 percent of the vote compared to Jokowi’s 40.22 percent.
Dedi said the province's political map had changed since then and he was confident that the Jokowi-Ma'ruf ticket would prevail over Prabowo-Sandiaga Uno.
"Now in the south [Jokowi-Maruf is more popular], in Bandung city, Bandung regency, West Bandung and also Tasikmalaya, [we are] starting to win, in Purwakarta [we are] also starting to win," he said, adding that Jokowi was only behind in the areas of West Java that bordered Jakarta and Banten.
He said that Jokowi's West Java team was focused on campaigning on Jokowi's programs and countering black campaign issues such as allegations about Jokowi's ties to the Indonesian Communist Party (PKI) or that he is a “foreign lackey”. (kmt/ipa)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Real Crazy Rich Asian wedding to cost $100 million
- Indonesia plans to make 30 percent biodiesel blend mandatory, studies B100
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- 21 tons of trash flows into Jakarta Bay daily: Researcher
- Indonesia launches One Map Policy to resolve land conflicts
- Wika announces development contracts in 10 countries
- Shopee BLACKPINK commercial too salacious, KPI says