Indonesia’s Agatha, Siti to face China’s top pair in junior world championships
The Jakarta Post
After booking two spots in the semifinals mixed-doubles category, Indonesia will also have two pairs battling for the BWF Junior World Championships’ women’s doubles title in Ontario, Canada, on Sunday morning Jakarta time.
In total, the country will have four pairs in the junior world semifinals as other players in the men's singles, women's singles and men's doubles events were forced to bow out in Friday's quarterfinals and earlier matches.
Fourth seeds Agatha Imanuela and Siti Fadia Silva Ramadhanti crushed China’s non-seeds Chen Yingxue and Li Yijing 21-13, 21-19 in Friday’s quarterfinals held at the Markham Pan Am Center.
Earlier, second seeds Ribka Sugiarto and Febriana Dwipuji Kusuma outclassed another Chinese pair, seven seeds Chen Yingying and Zhang Shuxian, in a tighter 14-21, 21-9, 21-15 battle.
In the semifinals, Agatha and Siti will face China’s top-seed duo Liu Xuanxuan and Xia Yuting in what will be their first meeting.
Meanwhile, Ribka and Febriana will play against Malaysia’s Pearly Koong Le Tan and Ee Wei Toh in the top-four round. In their previous two matches, each pair collected one win.
“Keeping the spirits high and staying confident is the key for tomorrow’s [Saturday] match,” said Febriana in a statement. (nkn)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- Lotte Chemical Indonesia begins construction of plant in Cilegon
- Indonesia plans to make 30 percent biodiesel blend mandatory, studies B100
- Indonesia’s e-commerce sales predicted to reach US$65b in 2022
- Prabowo answers all your burning questions in his little blue book
- Low deficits and fiscal prudence
- Jokowi stresses tolerance at cultural congress conclusion