Man commits self-immolation in Tangerang
The Jakarta Post
A 19 year-old man, identified as RM, reportedly committed self-immolation in the yard of a school building in Karawaci, Tangerang, Banten, on Wednesday, suffering burns to 82 percent of his body.
RM is currently receiving intensive care at Fatmawati Hospital in South Jakarta.
"RM suffered burns to 82 percent of his body, and a breathing apparatus has been installed to help him breath," Fatmawati Hospital spokesman Atom Adam said as quoted by kompas.com on Friday.
Karawaci Police chief Comr. Abdul Salim said RM “burned himself at night, almost at midnight”.
Several witnesses said RM was with his parents earlier on Wednesday night, assisting them at their food stall. After a while, RM excused himself to return home early.
Not long afterward, RM’s friend, who happened to be walking by the school, heard a scream. When he searched for the source of the sound, he saw that RM was already burned, and called nearby residents for help.
Immediately after receiving a report of the incident, police arrived on the scene. The officers found an empty vessel of kerosene and a gas lighter at the scene.
“We are still trying to understand his motivations,” Abdul said. (gis)
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Lotte Chemical Indonesia begins construction of plant in Cilegon
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- Tips to help you brew better coffee at home
- TNI denies explosive use during rescue after Papua shootings
- Environmentalists face greater risks amid development drive
- Prabowo answers all your burning questions in his little blue book
- ‘Obsess over problems, not idols’: 9 pieces of advice from Nadiem Makarim