ASEAN, Canada to maintain close ties after celebrating 40 years
The Jakarta Post
ASEAN and Canada have celebrated its 40th year of relations, pledging to preserve the partnership to maintain regional peace, stability, security, development and welfare.
Marie-Louise Hannan, Ambassador of Canada to ASEAN, said her country would continue to expand its regional engagement in areas that support ASEAN’s community building objectives, contributing to the fostering of peace, security and prosperity.
“The fabric of Canadian society is strengthened by our enduring links with ASEAN. As we celebrate 40 years of partnership, we hope to bring energy to the relationship to the benefit of Southeast Asians and Canadians alike,” Hanan said in a statement.
Hanan and Elizabeth Buensuceso, permanent representative of the Philippines to ASEAN, officially launched the 40th anniversary commemoration in Jakarta on Tuesday.
The first formal meeting between Canada and ASEAN was held on Feb. 3 and 4.
To mark the 40th anniversary, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau encouraged all Canadians to reflect on the tremendous contributions made by Southeast Asian Canadians to the country.
“Canada, after all, is home to over 1 million people from Southeast Asia. Their communities enrich our national fabric every day and greatly contribute to one of our country’s most fundamental strengths—our diversity,” Trudeau said in a statement.
During the 40th anniversary, Hannan also unveiled the special occasion’s logo, which was chosen through a competition. Ardy Kurniawan, a law student from the University of Jember, East Java, won the competition. (jun)
You might also like :
- Student allegedly paralyzed after being told to do 120 jump squats as punishment
- Obama dancing in Kenya sends world aflutter
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India
- China seizes 156 mammoth tusks in huge ivory haul
- S.Korean court hands former president Park another 8 years in jail
- 'Mass casualty incident' after Missouri tourist boat capsizes
- Former Hong Kong leader jailed again for misconduct
- Jambi girl imprisoned for abortion after being raped by brother
- Who is TGB, Jokowi’s strongest ally against sectarianism?