Indonesia wants Singapore to respect Indonesia laws in detention of captain
The Jakarta Post
Indonesia has called on all parties to respect existing laws with regard to the ongoing legal case related to Singaporean vessel the Seven Sea Conqueress at the Tanjung Pinang District Court in Batam.
Foreign Ministry spokesperson Arrmanatha Nasir said on Thursday that the Seven Sea Conqueress was allegedly involved in illegal conduct in Indonesian waters, adding that the detention of the captain and crew was carried out in Indonesia's territorial waters.
"The case has entered the legal process and it is hoped that all parties will respect the applicable laws in Indonesia and observe the development of the legal process in question," Arrmanatha told The Jakarta Post.
The spokesperson was speaking in response to a protest by the Singaporean Foreign Ministry released on Wednesday, which called for the immediate release of Captain Ricky Tan and the vessel, as well as the termination of any purported investigation against him.
Nine Singaporean passengers were detained on Aug. 20 but were released about two weeks later. However, Tan and the vessel remain in Indonesian custody, according to Singapore's statement.
The vessel allegedly did not have valid documents and permits, Arrmanatha said, adding that consular access had been granted since the beginning of the investigation. The suspect's lawyer had met several times at the naval base where Tan and the vessel are being held, he added. (ipa)
- Baby Donald Trump causes a stir in Afghanistan
- Australia hopes Indonesia will join TPP-11
- Turnbull lauds Jokowi's leadership, calls him 'role model'
- Xi gets second term with powerful ally as VP
- LIPI researcher looks to curcumin, gold to treat cancer
- Russia expels 23 British diplomats in spy poisoning row
- Immigration officers detain overstaying foreigners, fraudsters
- Suharto's youngest son in new push to get into Indonesian politics
- Three must-see North Maluku festivals
- Rohingya returnees won't be kept in camps 'forever': Myanmar official