Duterte ignores threat of suit in international court
Allan Nawal and Frinston Lim
Philippine Daily Inquirer/ANN
“They can do their worst.” That’s how President Rodrigo Duterte on Sunday shrugged off threats of being sued before the International Criminal Court (ICC), or impeached as a result of his bloody war against drugs.
“I will not be intimidated by the ICC [and] impeachment,” he told reporters before flying for a three-day visit to Burma [Myanmar] and Thailand.
He said he “welcomed both developments.”
“I can do better in my performance as a worker in government, period. This is a democracy,” he said.
Duterte said if it was his time to go, nobody could prevent it. “If that is part of my destiny, it is my destiny to go.”
In the meantime, he said he was focused on fulfilling his campaign promise to eliminate corruption, drugs and criminality.
“Even if it would cost me my life, my honor and the presidency. I can lose them all but I will comply with my promise,” he said.
In response to criticisms against his war on drugs, Duterte said: “Suppression includes all. Drop the ‘shabu’ [crystal meth] if you want to be alive. If you do not want trouble with government, stop trafficking. It’s as simple as that. I will not be for a moment be out of focus on that.”
Referring to the impeachment complaint filed against him last week by Magdalo party’s lawmaker Gary Alejano, the President said: “I will rise on what I promised, I will fall on it.”
To prevent more deaths, he said non-commission of crime and the observance of the law would suffice.
“Of course we just follow the rules provided for by law and it is found in the Revised Penal Code,” he said. “Follow the law and we will be all right … drop the ‘shabu’ and nobody will die tomorrow.” Duterte added.
“If you are a criminal and you are caught in the act, do not fight because if you place the guy’s [law enforcer’s] life in jeopardy, my order is to shoot you,” he said.
“I do not want to see military men and dead men on my side, killed. I’d rather that the criminals, however thousands or millions they are, should be the first to go,” he added.
Duterte denied he had a hand in the planned filing of an impeachment complaint against Vice President Leni Robredo.
He said he would not speculate on Robredo’s involvement on moves to unseat him.
“I will not be surprised if she is there. I will not speculate that she’s not there [either]. I am not interfering in her life. I hope she would not meddle in mine,” he said.
“I never lifted a finger against anybody. I’m beyond politics. I do not want to tinker with it,” he said.
This article appeared on the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper website, which is a member of Asia News Network and a media partner of The Jakarta Post
You might also like :
- Ahok faces threats in Cipinang prison: Warden
- Two Bali foreign inmates caught in Timor Leste
- Prosecutors in e-ID case demand former Home Ministry officials be jailed
- Batam, Yokohama to collaborate in urban development projects
- Bank Indonesia sets chip technology standard for ATMs, debit cards
- How embargo affects Qatar investment in Indonesia
- Facebook gets Indonesia nod for local unit
- Most crimes in Jakarta committed by youngsters: Research
- Beijing's new mega airport will challenge Air China's dominance
- East Jakarta robbery gang well managed: Police