North Maluku preps Widi Island as maritime destination
The Jakarta Post
Widi Island in South Halmahera, North Maluku, is set to be promoted as a maritime destination to attract more tourists to the region.
"It will also host the International Fishing Tournament slated for October, which will be officially opened by President Joko Widodo," said South Halmahera Tourism, Youth and Sports Agency head Nur Kamarullah in Ternate, North Maluku, on Wednesday.
Around 100 anglers from across the globe have registered to participate in the tournament.
The island itself is currently undergoing major develop. According to Antara news agency, Widi is quite popular among foreign tourists and is often dubbed the Maldives of Indonesia.
Read also: North Maluku to host historical boat parade
"Widi Island is the future of South Halmahera's tourism. The agency has promoted this destination at various events, including the diving exhibition in Jakarta, the Legu Gam Festival in North Maluku, as well as tourism events in Yogyakarta and Batam," said Kamarullah.
A culinary and cultural festival reportedly will be held during the upcoming fishing tournament.
Widi Island is home to various natural attractions, including Tauno Bay and Santari Bay. (vod/kes)
- Ahok, sex, and a ghost story of democracy
- BREAKING NEWS: Explosions hit East Jakarta
- BREAKING NEWS: Eyewitness hears "two explosions" erupt in East Jakarta
- BREAKING NEWS: Suicide bomber, policeman killed in Kampung Melayu attack: Police
- BREAKING NEWS: Police say explosions a suicide bombing
- Chaos erupts after suspected bomb blasts strike Kampung Melayu bus terminal
- Portrait of Myanmar's 'Buddhist Bin Laden' chills Cannes
- EDITORIAL: In step with the Nazis?
- Ahok resigns as Jakarta governor
- Officers hit by suicide bomb guarding pre-Ramadhan parade: Police