Thousand Islands celebrates 16th anniversary
The Thousand Islands in Jakarta celebrated its 16th anniversary on Nov. 9.
The anniversary was commemorated with the opening ceremony of Thousand Islands Festival at Lapangan Bupati, Pramuka Island.
“As the 2018 Asian Games is approaching, we need to prioritize tourism interests in order to become a world-class destination,” said Thousand Islands Regent Irmansyah.
The festival, supported by the Tourism Ministry, runs from Nov. 6 to 12 and features activities such as beach clean-up, music performances and competitions.
The upcoming 2018 Asian Games will be held from August until September next year in Jakarta and Palembang, South Sumatra.
The ministry has been gearing up for this event since April, which includes conducting roadshows to several places such as Bali, Palembang, Banten and Bandung; and socializations to related departments, associations and industries. The ministry has also placed the 2018 Asian Games logo at every marketing and promotional event in Indonesia and overseas.
Tourism Minister Arief Yahya said sports event is one of the ministry’s top three activities aside from Sail Sabang slated on Nov. 28 to Dec. 5 and the 2018 Annual Meetings of the IMF and World Bank that will be held in Bali. (kes)
- Depok men arrested for allegedly uploading sex video
- 8.2 magnitude quake hits off coast of Alaska: USGS
- Jakarta Planetarium to host public lunar eclipse observation on Jan 31
- BREAKING: Strong 6.4 earthquake hits Banten, no tsunami warning
- Earthquake leads to traffic jams in Jakarta
- Defector soldier 'committed murder in North Korea': report
- Jokowi criticizes regions for lengthy business permit issuance
- BI to punish payment service providers using Bitcoin
- Jonghyun's last album released posthumously
- Hundreds of houses damaged by Lebak earthquake