Zagreb named best Christmas market in Europe
The Jakarta Post
Croatian capital Zagreb has been named the best Christmas market in Europe for the third consecutive year, European Best Destinations announced earlier this month.
Of the 200,516 travelers that voted, nearly 40,000 voted for Zagreb, which helped it finish ahead of France’s Colmar and Austria’s Vienna.
Known for its breathtaking beach resorts and islands, Croatia has only recently been discovered as a viable winter destination. Zagreb sees increasing numbers of tourists annually, with almost all hotels fully occupied during Advent.
In December 2016 alone, the city recorded 145,000 overnight stays, about a third more than in the previous year. This year, Zagreb expects to hit a new record.
Read also: From Zagreb with love
The Christmas market today is much larger than its inaugural version 16 years ago, which was a comparatively low-key affair.
Security measures have been trumped up too, with more police in the city center and barriers set up as a precautionary measure against terrorist attacks.
Pavel Kalinic from the Emergency Management Office told CGTN.com that more rigid barriers should be put in place. “Only last weekend there were about 200,000 people in Zagreb, indicating that it is an attractive place and there will be more and more people,” he said. (afr/kes)
- Airport trains no longer have single fare
- Satpol PP officer dies after being hit by airport train
- Europe brings on charm and blue skies to lure Chinese tourists
- French founder strives to elevate Indonesian brand at Maison&Objet
- Twitter says Russia-linked accounts more widespread
- Electronic parking meters on Jl Sabang to be reactivated
- Tom Petty died of accidental overdose: family
- Bekasi Police arrest alleged sexual abuser after three-month pursuit
- Facebook to let users rank 'trust' in news sources
- Average British dinner lasts 21 minutes: survey