The Jakarta Post
Earthquake-affected tourists line up for free food and beverages provided by the West Nusa Tenggara tourist office and the Lombok tourist polytechnic on Tuesday. (TCC Kemenpar/File)
Following the magnitude-7 earthquake in Lombok on Sunday, August 5, the West Nusa Tenggara tourist office post along with the Lombok tourist polytechnic team operated a food truck at the West Nusa Tenggara tourist offices.
The food truck is aimed to cater to earthquake-affected tourists, offering free food and beverages.
Head of the Tourism Ministry’s crisis center, Guntur Sakti, told KompasTravel on Tuesday: “The food truck has been in operation since Sunday at the main post. It was provided by the Lombok tourist polytechnic and it’s located at the international tourist transfer spot.”
More than 1,500 affected tourists have enjoyed the food provided by the food truck, which offered a variety of food and snacks like instant noodles, cookies, biscuits, coffee, tea, milk and teh tarik (pulled tea).
“The tourist polytechnic currently owns one food truck,” Guntur confirmed.
This is not the food truck’s debut in critical situations, as it has previously attended several crises, as it is usually utilized as a learning tool for students. Guntur said the food truck had been effective, practical and economical for tourists, noting that its existence will be evaluated for future use.
The earthquake in Lombok occurred at 7:46 p.m. local time, and has claimed the lives of at least 90 people and injured 64. (asw)