University students create Islamic alternative to Pokemon Go
The Jakarta Post
Two students from the Bogor Institute of Agriculture (IPB) have come up with a concept for an online game that aims to minimize the negative effects of the widely played Pokemon Go.
Called Pokemon GoS, the game is said to follow Islamic moral guidelines that would ensure that it is both safe and convenient for users, as explained by one of its initiators Muhammad Yusuf.
“Media outlets have reported the small- and large-scale impacts of playing Pokemon Go. It has also been deemed to be dangerous for those who don't pay attention to their surroundings due to being too focused on the game," said Yusuf as quoted by Antara news agency on Wednesday.
Due to such phenomena, Yusuf and another student, Adih, suggested Pokemon GoS as a safer alternative that will employ “warning” features based on Islamic values, such as signs, time, condition of places and social surroundings, and religion-related information. "Its design will look like Pokemon Go, but will be equipped with a warning system to ensure players' safeness and educate them about Islamic values."
The concept of the game reportedly won third place in the institution's 8th annual Musqabah Alquran Scientific Writing Competition this year. (mra/kes)
You might also like :
- Anwar reassures Malays who fear losing racial advantage
- 53 injured as Saudi jet makes emergency landing
- To fast or not? Free of IS, Syrians in Raqa mark relaxed Ramadhan
- Joey Alexander among '50 Asians to watch'
- Police find 'missing' teen's body at South Jakarta apartment
- Danish minister says Ramadan fasting can be 'dangerous'
- Castle restoration plan with no elevators causing controversy
- After 20 years, tough road ahead
- Anwar Ibrahim's Jakarta visit packed with media interviews
- How new antiterrorism law will change Indonesia's war on terror