Indonesian students place in Asia-Pacific water rocket competition
The Jakarta Post
Two Indonesian students brought home trophies from an Asia-Pacific water rocket competition in Los Banos, the Philippines, on Sunday. The competition is part of the Asia-Pacific Regional Space Agency Forum (APRSAF) or the 23rd assembly of institutes of aeronautics and space.
Bayu Dwi Tjahyono, a student of SMPN 5 state junior high school in Kebumen in Central Java, was awarded second place in the competition. Meanwhile, Alfian Pebriansyah from SMKN 4 state vocational school in Pontianak, West Kalimantan, placed third.
According to the official website of the National Institute of Aeronautics and Space (LAPAN), both students had previously won the water rocket competition at the regional and national level. Prior to going to the Philippines, they had received training on basic principles of creating water rockets by the institute's Rocket Technology Center Team (Pustekroket).
(Read also: Indonesian student among 2016 Diabetes Award winners)
Alfian Pebriansyah (center) from SMKN 4 state vocational school in Pontianak, West Kalimantan, who placed third at an Asia-Pacific water rocket competition receives an award at the competition's ceremony.(LAPAN/File)
“The winner of this year’s competition comes from Malaysia, while the [fan's] favorite winner is from Vietnam,” LAPAN spokesperson Mega Mardita told Antara news agency, adding that the institute hoped the competition would encourage Indonesian children to learn more about science, aeronautics and space.
The Asia-Pacific water rocket competition was established in 2005 for 12 to 16-year-old students. This year’s contest saw 54 students from 13 countries participating, which included Thailand, Japan, Singapore and Cambodia. The rockets were basically made from carbonated water bottles filled with water and were launched by enabling the right pressure and angle. (wir/kes)
You might also like :
- Rizieq Shihab named suspect in pornography case while abroad
- Police warns against online witch hunts
- Skytrain to start operations next month at Soekarno-Hatta Airport
- Kaesang criticizes viral video of children chanting 'hate speech', calls for tolerance
- VP’s daughter reports Ahok supporter for alleged defamation against Kalla
- Trailer released for ‘Harry Potter’ prequel about Voldemort
- Police arrest suspected terrorist in Central Java
- ‘Jokowi Undercover’ author sentenced to three years in prison
- Indonesia projected to become net LNG importer by 2022
- Bribery case smears govt’s budget review